The Duke of Cleveland is located on the Headland in Hartlepool, only a few hundred yards from the coast. The listed building is the oldest in the town that is still in use. We are a restaurant and function rooms that serves a range of traditional homemade food and hosts a variety of functions. We purchase local produce from local businesses where ever possible and just try to make everything the best possible way we can with as much of this local produce as we are able to. Our staple of dishes like the Fish & Chips, deep-fried line caught Cod in our own special beer batter with hand cut chips and homemade steaks pies are what we are known for, as well as local dishes like our chicken Parmo that originated a few miles down the road in the next town. We try not to complicate matters as more often than not, simple things made well are the best. At the weekend we serve a traditional roast Sunday lunch from the carvery.
The Duke of Cleveland is named so after William Harry Vane, 1st Duke of Cleveland (27 July 1766 – 29 January 1842), styled Viscount Barnard until 1792 and known as The Earl of Darlington between 1792 and 1827 and as between 1827 and 1833, was a British landowner and politician. This was his Summer residence, called Hartlepool House.